Friday, August 29, 2008

Grateful

Just thinking how grateful I am for God's goodness. To be born in '79 after the horrendous '60's and following in after the reform and maturity of the swishy evangelicals of the Jesus People movement. I believe that God has caused a tremendous revival and reform in American and classical evangelical Chrisitanty, at least in many Reformed churches.
We have a great legacy in old school evangelicalism, part. from the Reformation on. And now I believe, that many Reformed churches are barely beginning to stand on the shoulders of our great fathers--Luther, Calvin, Bucer, Chalmers, Davies, Spurgeon, Edwards, Whitefield, and many of the Puritans--while humbly and carefully building and reforming that tradition to be more classically Christian. Also, more Hebraic, covenantal, and biblical/theological so that we are stretching from the 1st Cent. to the Reformation better. Yet, all the mean while not losing the foundation stones that our fathers set. But, we have much to learn and heavy shoes to fill.

Somehow, the lines have fallen in pleasant places to many young reformed people around my age. My parents aren't divorced. I have somehow been preserved from the debauchery of the media filth of the 80's and 90's...though barely. I can remember distinctly, mind you when my grandmother (not knowing what we were getting into, and I had a bad conscience even then) took me to see whatever movie i wanted to see. We saw Predator 2, a very debauched movie, and i was exposed and drug through much garbage in my young days... But God's grace is strong.. Somehow i was able to get through high-school. Boyce College was revolutionary and transformative for Jana and I during those years. And how we were able to be a part of the renaissance and reformation in Moscow, is a great joy and mystery to me.

So, here we are in Spokane.. Without debt, by the grace of God. And we have a simple life to the parish of Christ Church. Four beautiful children and a gorgeous wife, and the possibility of finishing Greyfriar's Hall in 3 years.. It is all to the faithfulness of Jesus and the assurance of His promises.

No comments: